Monday, March 7, 2011

things that start with the letter p.

(parenting)

I'm "mother" to two teenage girls for the next twelve days.*  In addition to not being biologically capable of mothering them, I also lack the wisdom, experience, and a-well-balanced-dinner's-ready-in-twenty-minutes skill set. (I can swing 40 minutes if I plan ahead. ... On a good day. ... And I still might forget one of the food groups.)
So, seeing as they're 15 and 17, it's not quite mothering, not quite babysitting... live-in-friending? (Maybe I can be the cool aunt, and make them "I love my aunt" onesies, er... t-shirts.)

Between the rides to the bus stop and the late-night snacks, I am so thankful that children start out small -- that you can know them through the diaper blowouts and runny noses and babbles, and continue to know them as they grow into potty-trained, kleenex-competent, articulate people. (Theoretically...I've never had children...but that's what it looks like from the cool aunt's perspective.)

To be in one place, one season, and know that another season is coming, that larger and possibly better things are coming, that maybe they even need to come, but to still relish in the current season, to sew and glean knowing that tomorrow is new, will be new, has to be new. To live in a state of falleness and imperfection, with requisite maturation and intentionality, moving towards knowing as we are fully known. And doing it all in fear and trembling, in real-life time. Yikes!

(process - see above)

Sign me up.

(pregnancy)

Not pregnant. Not sure if I ever will be pregnant. But, just in case, I have a fabulous buffet of prenatal vitamins (and other supplements) three times a day. One of them gives me fish-oil burps.

(presents)

This cool aunt just made a cape for her nephew that she's really excited about. It's got his initials (GD) followed by a rather robust exclamation point, and after making said cape, she realized it's potential for profanity. Oops.

Still really excited.

(pterodactyl)

**

* The young women that I am fortunate enough to live-in-friend -- they're amazing, and I would be so-flipping-excited if any wee Petersons ever turned out like them. Also, we want to take a family photo in front of the fire place. Now I just need to find matching denim shirts...

**
No explanation necessary.

4 comments:

  1. the blog world has no idea what just hit them. you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also...this made me think of you and smile.
    http://www.made-by-rae.com/2011/03/guest-tutorials-angry-birds-softies-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. another blog you will love: http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

tu penses...