Wednesday, March 23, 2011

banana seat

On Sunday, I challenged the 9th/10th grade youth group girls to intentionally "put on" the armor of God at some point this week. Preferably in the morning. And then to think about it at some point in the day.

I've done the latter. (And then tried not to congratulate myself too much for having a conversation about it, seeing as I hadn't actually done what I challenged those girls to do, and, even if I had, it still wouldn't warrant self-pride.)

Why do I want to do the former? Why wake up and put on imaginary belts and tie up imaginary boots and grasp imaginary shields and buckle imaginary helmets (etc)? Because. Because I am small and insufficient. Because I want to be intentional. Because I want to surround myself with Truth (to be held in and "defined" by it), tromp around in Peace-boots, feel (and know) myself to be covered in Righteousness, put out flaming darts with a tangible Faith, rest my mind in Salvation through Christ, and wield the Word. Because I want to see the victory and glory of God over the desperate brokeness and deceit of the world (in and outside of me).

Okay, so not all of me wants that. But part of me DOES want it, and part of me WANTS to want it, and the last part is old-Lisa and needs to die anyway, or has died, but doesn't know it yet. Or something like that.

Note: His Victory and Glory is definitely NOT dependent on my imagining a bike helmet, nor does said bike helmet, etc, somehow make me sufficient.

I have a few more mornings to go before youth group. Anyone want to send me a 6:30 am text message to remind me to put on my gear?

Probably not what Paul was talking about. But I might want one for the Hubs...


1 comment:

  1. Lol, I have forgotten to! I thought about it a couple times this week, but that's only because of your and Cole's posts... side note.. that is the coolest helmet I have ever seen! This one may come close to sufficiency.. I think it would suit Paul quite well lol

    ReplyDelete

tu penses...